Every person on this planet has the same amount of time on a given day, it is 24 hours. There are multiple ways to accomplish some results within that time: we can work longer or we can use time more efficiently.
One of the techniques to use time more efficiently is deep work. According to the book with the same name, deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It’s a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time.
As a software engineer, I need to focus on cognitively demanding tasks, and I try to do the job in a state of deep work. I found that I can much easily to enter the “flow” when I listen to easy, relaxing music. It establishes background noise that guards from the outside fuss and helps me to concentrate on the task, to mentally focus and get together.
Spotify already prepared playlists with such music. Here are couple of playlists that I listen:
- Deep Focus: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWZeKCadgRdKQ?si=q_WK66ilSBehfsI55_gfMw
- Intense Studying: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX8NTLI2TtZa6?si=pBmetZEiSfODhzD7y9KTUw
- Productive Morning: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX6T5dWVv97mp?si=GaPyj_OAR-OPFTDqIutI0A
- Deep House Relax (this is more for the late night work): https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX2TRYkJECvfC?si=Fuca6MceRVuEZOzA8J1p2g
- Night Rider: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DX6GJXiuZRisr?si=8ogmtKwNSPul-pJIbL2ubg
- Brain Food: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWXLeA8Omikj7?si=-mjtNj2ITwWLPtjMQTt6ig
I also highly recommend to buy good noise cancelling headphones. I personally use Bose Quite Comfort 35 and they are great, I was blown away by the noise cancellation
Do you try to enter the state of the deep work? What techniques do you use?